Thursday, July 11, 2013

Beep Beep: 6 Things I Will Miss

In less than a month I will be relocated to the Northwest. I am ridiculously excited to return to humidity and rainfall and green grass.  However, I have been getting a bit sappy, loving last lunches with friends, carrying my favorite known-her-whole-life four-year-old to the car.  Besides my friends what will I miss?  Here are six to begin with.


Roadrunners.  They are real critters (this sometimes surprises visitors) who don't honk.  However,they are so unique it feels like you have spotted a leprechaun.  

Cafe Lush Red Chile.  The arguments about the best green and or red chile in Albuquerque are endless.  However my favorite is the red chile at Cafe Lush downtown.  It is like tenderly hot silk.   

Eggs Anytime.  Eggs are not relegated to morning food around here.  There is no time when a 'breakfast burrito' is not obtainable.


Smell of Cedar and Pinon roasting in the sun.  When you go for a hike around here, generally the world smells like cedar and pinon.  I may have to buy a large box of the incense cones they sell.


Green Chile Roasting in the Fall.  At first sniff I thought I was smelling the smoke of rank pot.  Then it grows on you.  There is a large roasting facility not far from my church office and home.  Many evenings in the fall you find yourself blessed by what I call the 'verde wind'.   


These seed pod things.  There is something therapeutic about crushing these under your foot.  (Apparently they are not from maple trees.  I thought the leaves looked maple-y.  Sycamore, which explains the trunks.)

Albuquerque and New Mexico friends...what would you miss?

Next week...6 things I know I won't miss.

3 comments:

  1. You seemed to like the balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a balloon thing in Walla Walla; just not as multitude-inous. But good call Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green chili stew. I would really and truly miss it with a pang. I'd miss sunshine like no other. I'd miss the elegant brutality of life in the southwest where water is rare and temperatures range 20-40 degrees in less than 24 hours. You have to pay attention to that.
    I'd miss the people who have become my family; chosen family, that is. I'd miss who I have become and what I mean to my community.
    Although I miss water in all it's forms and possibilities, I have come to love a place that recognises the absolute necessity of that most fundamental element in a very real and special way. I like the economy of living that requires real effort and thought in everyone in order for it to happen. It seems to me, where there is abundance there is a sort of recklessness or sloppiness that can't happen where basic necessities are in question (like water!).

    ReplyDelete