Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Tension: Glad Growling at the Acapella Accoutrements

Tension.  Out in traffic.Tension.  Out in traffic.  Tension in our exercises, Tension everywhere that I go.


I love the smells and sounds of the winter holiday season, however it all starts too soon and is too loud and too distracting.  Childlike wonder and Grinch-like Advent fundamentalism all at once.  Tension.


I love following the #adventword devotional from the Society of St. John the Evangelist, yet I find myself flinching at the endless photos of empty naves and acapella accoutrements.  Who and what are we proclaiming with these?  Church and faith are people words, are active words, alive and moving and God willing, breathing.  Yet there they are.  Lovely shots of windows and pews and thuribles, saying so much by what is not in the image.  Tension.


know there is anxiety regarding what images we can use.  These phone shots of furnishings are free of charge and hassle, and I do it too.    I know we are material people who find that the tactile memory of old books and worn kneelers keep us nourished on our journey with Christ.  Yet they #proclaim a poor gospel.  They are focused on ashes when we are called to strive for the stars.  

my tweet post...with a stole i made once for a friend.  tension.

Our practice is not about the stuff, and all about the stuff.  What we do with the gifts we have been given, where we place our love and trust, how we use our resources:  all of this matter matters. Our proclamation of good news includes the hard truth that our worship of stuff is a place of divine judgment.  This worldwide Advent calendar should invite a bit of anxiety and tension.  I am #encouraged that as the days process on there are only so many furniture images for us to share.  Tension.

These advent word hashtags are a beautiful blessing.  The #EpiscopalAdvent and the #Radvent and the #Adventword, these lead me to think and pray and to laugh throughout the day.  Perhaps it is fitting afterall.  This social media interplay of life and image are focusing on my Advent tensions about what is here and what I #wait for.   

No comments:

Post a Comment