Friday, February 9, 2018

say goodbye say hello

I heard it said by a wise woman that how you say goodbye is how you say hello.  That isn't really what she said, and it may also be exactly what she said.  It is rather hard to do both in the same manner.  Saying goodbye to friends is more complex.  There is the desire that no goodbye is actually a goodbye.  We say, see you later.  And I do believe I will, however, that is more of an existential subject than the motions of even this nomadic church lady intends.

Spokane, Washington, is a much-underappreciated city full of tasty nooks and brag-worthy bar stools and nice people.  I first visited Spokane just under five years ago and I must say there are few cities I have never lived in that I have so much appreciation for.  Now I should probably add a caveat that I have slept here for what must total over two months of nights, so this isn't a pass-through place for me.  For a while, it seemed like I was running an Expedia review series of downtown hotels (Montvale is my favorite; followed by the new RL).   Our regional headquarters and therefore one-quarter of my job was centered here.  So too were meetings of huge importance and friendships of long standing.  I had no idea how well I would know this city, with its large chunks of rock in random spots, steep streets, and darling vaguely craftsman houses.  I wonder about the bold ambition to build the Cathedral of St John on that steep slope and the sheer volume of raw materials of life that pass through the rails and roads of this city.

This week was supposed to be a retreat but I don't usually find dozens of colleagues gathered in winter at a less than cozy site to be the most retreat-full.  I know this could be a goodbye time and I am moved to say goodbye the way I like to say hello.  Meetings and beverages across the various treasures of the city.  Some have been here for a while, and a few are quite new.  Glistening jewels of hops and coffee craft sprouting on the hard brick of this old city.  I have had tea with a young woman growing and a long-term saint continuing.  Beers with myself and this computer and beer with one of my unexpected besties.  We never say so long, only see you later.  It is not goodbye even if it is goodbye, but instead, it is a chance to celebrate our lives and share in what makes us us.  This is rather different from all the original awkward cafe conversations and will always be.  I adore you, each of you.  The coffee shops and breweries, the dancers, the administrators, the deacons, the priests.  Thank you for welcoming me into your journey.  Clank the virtual glasses and raise a toast to the mysteries of the Spirit that draw us to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment