Sunday, September 23, 2018

Letters from Pemberley #3

Dear Kitty,

I cannot abide the truth that it has been over two months since I have written to you.  There is no worthy cause for my delay, and so I offer you my sincere apology.  I did receive your correspondence and share with you the occasional sadness at being so far from so many beloved friends.  Perhaps it is those blossoms of feeling so distant that have delayed my response.  All my love to you and our friends, I share in the deep affection and the moments of sadness are to be expected of a relationship such as ours. 

It may be that others have relayed to you the struggles of my dear feline companions over these months.  My darling old girl Glory was experiencing significant pain and symptoms of trouble around the 'box'.  Following multiple visits involving a variety of apparatus and withdrawal of fluid, it was revealed that she had a kidney infection.  Might you be familiar with the concoction known as a 'pill pocket'?  It is the most amazing product for dispensing medical remedies for this old feline.  She is much much better, although she is of course still quite mature having lived long enough to have completed secondary school.  Her dear sister Liberty has considerable concerns.  The discovery was frightening and the long-term hope is not strong, as she seems to have some sort of growth on her brain.  She has a remedy that is improving her function in the short term (however she shall not abide the 'pill pocket'), however, we know not how long this will keep her in some comfort, which she has found for now.

This new home in southern Jersey is set in fine proximity to several important towns: Bath-adelphia of course, the capital, and most impressively 'TOWN' is only 70 miles away.  So it was a tremendous joy to make my way one morning by stage coach and train into Town, where I spent the day with some of the best Walla Wallans (and HT and PT).  While the train made its way into the city we passed through a storm of the type you might expect on the isle of Azkaban, and exiting Penn Station the same storm opened wide upon us!  Yet it would not dampen our spirits.  We visited a museum and art galleries and feasted on Dan Dan noodles, walking over 8 miles in one day!  I do hope that more of our companions will connect with me when they are also in 'Town'. 

You may recall that while I have not lived in this part of our nation before, we do have old companions who have also moved not so far away.  There has been tea, and Indian lunches, and even a birthday party with unicorns (oh my) and a cake of 'pink storm'.  It was a good evening the night that I enjoyed a veggie cheese 'steak' at the local ball team park.  My distance from so many is alleviated by my proximity to others.

 It was also a true hope of mine to find myself much closer to 'the Gober's'.  Before you reply of the significant distance they are at, I will remind you that we are now much closer together.  This was shown in the easy traveling visit of my dear Mother to Pemberton a few weeks ago.  We visited the beach (I am assured that this is not its title it being 'down the shore' even when the destination is to the oceanside village to the north) and the aquarium as well. 

The duties of holy service here in Pemberley are as to be expected, and of a hearty and enjoyable nature.  There are the letters of business to attend to, gatherings that require a brief ride to the capital, preaching and teaching.  As the months continue I find myself settling into the duties of a solo parson, and becoming more acquainted with the diocese of this region. 

Lastly, I share with you my dismay and joy at how my beloved sports ball team is playing astonishingly well, however, due to the global distance from their home field, I find that I usually only am able to stay alert through an inning or two of play.  It is a grief that I cannot delight more fully in this long overdue success.  May the Athletics continue to finish with victory and safety. 

May we see each other again soon.
Jane of Pemberton

No comments:

Post a Comment