Saturday, July 7, 2018

Letters from Pemberley

Dear Kitty (because dear Jane would be strange),

It has been three weeks since I arrived here at Pemberley.  Also known to the local residents as Pemberton, but that is neither here nor there.  The first week of weather was quite cool, the second soaringly hot, and now this day is the most pleasant.  Clear blue skies with the occasional cloud and slight breezes.  I must tell you how very thoroughly green this part of the world is, and how much everyone is astonished to learn that most of Washington state is a high desert. 

I thought that I would share with you some things I have discovered since coming here.   While postal inquiries are made to New Jersey, that apparently is just a formal name.  Every local I have encountered has only called it Jersey, and more specifically South Jersey.  Which I am assured is the 'best Jersey'.  Such a relief!  One of the noticeable differences is that the construction of roads frequently follows a unique pattern.  I recall reading once that traffic would flow more smoothly if it were to follow this 'go right to go left' method.  However, I do believe that that data relied upon the computer bits knowing where they were going, and many humans seem not to.  There are very many people here.  Not precisely in this borough, but in every direction and passing through.  I was at a public house in my first week, it was not very crowded, but was still more populated than anything I have encountered in recent years.  The best local practice is very much like that of the great state of Oregon, wherein I do not have to leave my car to have it refilled with fuel.  So delightful.

The local cuisine highly favors the flavors of dear Rome and Verona, and they are quite proud of all the fresh corn and seafood, neither of which suit my stomach.  I will have to make a bit of a jaunt to savor some of my favorite Asian foods.  However, there is very much cheese and blueberries are everywhere - and the marvelous trader Joseph has a stall only a bit out of the everyday passage.  I have not begun to find such things as a physician, but I did need to find a vet.  Young Liberty traveled so well but after the truckload of my belongings were maneuvered into the house she was unwell.  My suspicion of a repeat was not correct, but it turns out she does have a thyroid disorder.  Woe is young Liberty, but we will have her treated (as soon as the pharmacy returns my inquiry).   Glory is not so adoring of the home with steep stairs, but is rather delighted that I am easily accessible almost all the time. 

My love to all and I hope to hear from you soon.
Jane of PemberTON.

1 comment:

  1. Agriculture in both Washington and NJ is vast and vastly important. Food grown from the earth remain great gifts requiring great skill and long term investment, for this we are thankful.

    ReplyDelete